Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Alicia and Michael
Angel Fire, New Mexico

Last weekend was the Labor Day holiday. And even though I didn't have the weekend off like a lot of people, I certainly had a great time shooting Alicia and Michael's wedding in Angel Fire. Laura came up with me, and it almost felt like a vacation because Alicia and Michael put us up in the Angel Fire Resort for two nights with a huge room and a hot tub. I had never explored Angel Fire before, but Laura and I got an afternoon to visit the small town. We bought wine from a guy who looked like he was going to rob the liquor store, but actually worked there. We met a man who must have been Billy Bob Thorton's twin brother at the grocery store's check-out line who kept blaming the malfunctioning credit card machine "on the mountain. But I blame everything on the mountain." (He was our favorite, and we thought he was so funny we almost went back to buy something else from him just to say hello) And Laura found the "gourmet" coffee shop proudly serves Folgers only. Laura and I always have a good time traveling, and Angel Fire is definitely a place worth seeing, especially in the Winter during ski season, not to mention the area's stunning beauty at 10,000 feet above sea level. (In comparison, Denver, Colorado is around 5,400 feet).

Alicia and Michael live in Pennsylvania, but decided to have their wedding in Angel Fire so they could be married outside in the mountains where Michael's parents now live. It almost rained us out (as usual this summer), but the weather turned out great and so did the ceremony. I know Alicia and Michael are looking forward to coming back out West, and I owe them a tour of Santa Fe for sure. Here are some shots from the day:



Alicia was just about to walk out to the ceremony, and was holding back tears. It was one of those moments as a photographer I am always proud to witness.



Getting ready.



This is a shot Alicia's mother might wonder why I ever took. Actually, Alicia's mother is pretty cool and might actually dig this.



With all the rain, we're seeing more wild flowers than anyone can remember.



I love brides who will walk up mountains in high heels.

I don't get to photograph many small ceremonies anymore, but Alicia and Michael's wedding reminded me that you don't need 200 people to have a truly perfect wedding day. You can see the slideshow here: http://benchrisman.com/AliciaMichael/

In other news, I recently received a fourth place in the Wedding Photojournalist Association's summer contest for the engagement session category. The image is from a day spent in San Francisco with Kim and Neil. Here's the winning shot:


No comments: