Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I'm always going to remember Melissa and Tony’s wedding day because it was the wedding I almost didn’t shoot. About a year ago, Melissa and Tony drove down to Santa Fe from Denver. Laura and I took them out to dinner and we had such a good time at MuDu Noodles, we never even got around to talking about their wedding details. I didn't hear back from them for a few months, and a bit disappointed, I figured they had found another photographer. Finally, I got a call from Tony asking me if I knew of any good DJs. Before we hung up, I asked him who his photographer was going to be. Confused, he said "You're my photographer." Uh oh. To be fair to all couples, I can only reserve a date with a contract and a retainer fee. I guess I forgot to tell Melissa and Tony that, though. So they had assumed I was going to be their photographer the whole time, but I was going to be meeting with another bride later that week about booking their date. After a few quick, nervous phone calls to the other bride, we got everything straight. I found the other bride an awesome photographer, my friend Brett Butterstein. So in the end, I got to shoot Melissa and Tony’s wedding at the Inn at Loretto. The ceremony was beautiful and afterwards we found some incredible light at sunset for portraits. I guess I made Melissa and Tony late for their grand entrance to the reception because I had an anxious message on my cell phone asking me where we were because the DJ was waiting. But I think it was worth it (sorry Dan) because nothing beats the light in Santa Fe.

And here’s the slideshow: www.benchrisman.com/MelissaTony

3 comments:

Vladimir Chaloupka said...

nice shots, ben, do you use Nikon camera???

Heath Haussamen said...

You are the coolest wedding photographer I've ever known. Let's make some sushi next time I'm up there.

CaVa said...

I wish I could shoot with New Mexico's skies in the background, ahh for the good old days of living in Montezuma. Open spaces in NYC are hard to come by...
As always your wedding photography is awesome! Your site is one of the few sites I visit before any major wedding to find some inspiration and ideas. You always have a great new shots and ideas.
Thanks for the inspiration.
cheers,

Carlos Andres

ps.It seems we have similar tastes in literature...